Blend Bunny Cosmetics: Surge Palette Review

    I received the Blend Bunny Surge palette as a Christmas gift! I've been testing it out since then and wanted to share my thoughts on the palette. I've seen a lot of praise for it and overall I think it's well deserved. My biggest gripe with a lot of eyeshadow palettes is that they don't have enough range of depth! I know not every palette needs to have a black eyeshadow, but I find a lot of palettes don't go deep enough for my liking! It's also a matter of inclusivity when an eyeshadow is only made up of light shades. 

    The TL;DR of this is that I adore the matte shades! The shimmers leave a lot to be desired. The mattes are stunning and in colors I adore. I've been wanting some neon shadows for a while and these fill that void for me. 

Palette in its unswatched form! So beautiful!

    I am really impressed by how easily the colors all blend out. It's a great experience overall being able to get such deep, even blends with the unique color story of the palette. The thing that drew me into the palette in the first place was the impressive row made of black and the deepened colors of orange, pink, purple, blue, and green! The black shade, Vinyl, is also VERY easy to use. I'm really picky about my black eyeshadows since many of them are either prone to fallout or aren't that dark no matter how much you build them up. Vinyl does require a bit of buildup but it's really easy to blend out. Plus I don't mind a black that needs to be built up so long as pigment will actually adhere to the lid and shadows lol!

Swatches of the first three columns. No primer used!

Swatches of the other three columns.

    I don't have a lot of experience with pressed neon pigments beyond Urban Decay's long since discontinued Electric palette (which is still in my collection after all this time)! They are not in your face pigmented and do require some build up while also being prone to fading/dulling if you blend on top of it. I do recommend that if you're going to use the neon row, to light pack and blend on top of whatever color you want to blend it into.

    One thing I really adore about this palette is that pretty much every column can make the perfect monochromatic look. It is so satisfying to see a rainbow palette laid out perfectly in such a format! You can do a lot of really fun color combinations with all the other colors as well. I love a palette that inspires me creatively. I have been using the mattes non stop since I received it!

    A really small nitpick, but I do wish there was a more distinct difference between the dark orange (Grunge) and the dark pink (Taboo). Mayhaps it's just on my skin tone, but I don't find the difference between them to be that noticeable. They certainly look distinct in the pan, but I find they look practically the same on my eyes! I think if Grunge was just a tad bit more orange-y? Not entirely sure how it would look, but it is lacking a little something.

    I truly adore the green row. A bit of bias since green is one of my favorite colors, but I find these greens to be super stunning and a bit on the cooler side. The blue pastel shade Chills also stands out to me a lot. For me the winning mattes are certainly the row of all dark mattes. They blend well, have very little to no fall out, and are so fun to use. They're essential to the palette being a winner for me!

    As stated earlier, I didn't find myself all that enamored with the shimmers. The only true shimmers to me are Flash and Zip It Up. The latter swatches SO well and smoothly compared to every other shadow in that column. Flash is the second best and has little flecks of purple in it which make it unique to me. The rest of the shadows are much more satin in finish. They're pretty but I personally prefer shimmers over satins. The swatches aren't bad but they don't really seem that interesting to me besides fitting in well to the overarching color scheme. 


    For some reason the satins and shimmers don
't perform all too well on my eyelid. I find that dipping a brush into the shadows isn't my preferred way to pick up this particular formula since they're on the creamier side. They pick up with fingers much better. Getting them on the eye does require a bit of work since you need to build them up, but what I'm personally disappointed with is the longevity of the satins and shimmers! They crease on me so easily and quickly, even with Pixie Epoxy as my tacky base. I had a very similar issue to the Wilderness palette from Beauty Bay (review linked here). Both of these palettes have a super similar shimmer/satin formula. If you had no issue with the shimmers in Wilderness this may not affect you!

    For my thoughts overall, I think this palette is incredible. I truly adore the matte formula and color story. Blend Bunny Cosmetics is a small, indie brand and I am keeping my eye on future releases. I am also eyeing their Blends palette for its beauty, simple rainbow color story. If you absolutely adore the mattes and want to expand your collection, I think this is a great palette to try out despite the shimmers being lackluster. I'll continue some more exploration and see if my opinion changes, but as of writing this, I'm not super impressed. I haven't been able to put this palette down since getting it and I really love using it daily!

    Below I've got some eye looks and color combinations I did using this palette.

One of my favorite looks!

Had to showcase the shimmer I used lol. (Royalty and Fluoresce from Clionadh)

Been meaning to do more duotoned eyelooks that aren't blue-green.
Yummy mint chocolate vibes here!

The ultimate contrasting duotone look!

Apologies for phone camera quality! Loved how the mattes looked in this.

A link to my instagram, where I post looks more frequently and quickly. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beauty Bay Wilderness Palette Thoughts! (with makeup inspiration attached!)